These meat patties are made in two stages .
11/4 lb boneless beef or lamb
2 medium onions
1 lb split yellow peas
1 tablespoon turmeric
salt + pepper
3 cups water .
Cooking directions :
- Cook meat, onions, water, turmeric +salt and pepper for 30 minutes.
- Add split peas and more water if needed.
- Continue cooking for another 40 minutes until done and all water is absorbed.
- Puree the mixture in a food processor. Divide it in 4 portions . If not ready to go through to the second stage freeze in 4 separate bags .
For each portion
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup oil for frying to start ( add as necessary)
Half a small onion-grated
Saffron water optional
1.In a bowl combine meat mixture with eggs, grated onion, baking soda and saffron water.
2. Knead well refrigerate and then1-2 hours.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan, put a spoonful of the mixture into the oil and flatten the top,
4. Using your spoon, make it into a round patty with a round hole in the center.
5. Fry one side until golden brown, and gently lift and turn over to fry the other side.
6. Leave on paper towel to get rid of excess oil .
Serve with tarragon, parsley, feta cheese, walnuts and middle eastern bread